Friday, June 12, 2009

Sad news






It's Friday night, and it's been a brutal week. As anyone who follows my facebook page knows, we were told by Cole's allergist that in Cole's best interest, we need to find new homes for our dogs. Since birth, Cole has had terrible eczema and a few instances of asthma. After a skin-allergy test turned up very positive for dogs, the doctor believes that they are causing his skin issues, and the longer he is exposed to them, the more severe his asthma will become. We don't have a choice really. I've had Pepe since I was single and living in an apartment in Sarasota. He's been the only constant in my life for the past seven years. It sounds so silly, but I just can't imagine that anyone else will love him like I/we do. It's unfathomable. Anyway, it is what it is. If you are reading this, and you or anyone you know wants a (or preferably two) adorable chihuahua(s), PLEASE let me know. They are completely current on all of their shots, and have been very well taken care of.






As if the dog situation didn't suck enough, Cole woke up yesterday covered in the most gnarly hives I've ever seen. I pumped him up with Benadryl, but when they were still reappearing 36 hours later and the antihistamine was no longer effective, I took him to Urgent Care (It was a blast. me, Cole, and Henry in the tiniest room ever waiting, waiting, waiting for the doctor. There are so many fun nooks and crannies in those exam rooms. For some reason, my kids like to pull the stirrups out from under the exam table, and jam them back in. Repeatedly)

As anyone who has had hives knows, there's absolutely no way to pinpoint what has caused the outbreak, you can only treat the symptoms. This is not the first time the poor kid has had hives, just the worst case yet. The doctor thinks he's allergic to something he either ate, touched, or breathed in. He thinks it's got to be something in the house, and we may never know exactly what it is. Perfect. Just perfect.

**As an aside. I took the pictures to show his doctor, because knowing my luck, after 36 hours they would have magically disappeared on the way to the doctor's office. I post them here purely for sympathy :(





The bright note in an otherwise crazy-hectic month was a visit from the Skeffingtons. Dena, Sean, Noah and Jamie decided to spend their memorial day long-weekend with us in beautiful Bixby Oklahoma. It was soooo great to see them and watch the kids play. How is it that we have four between us? It feels like yesterday we were shooting rubber bands across the aisle on the bourse floor. Damn time flies! We had a great time at the children's museum and Incredible Pizza. We swam and lounged at my mom's pool. We cooked out and Sean and John were able to play golf. All in all, I think we all had a really nice time. It's our turn to visit them next.



Next week my sister Meg is coming to town for ten days and I can't wait to see her and spend some sisterly bonding time together! Later in the month, John and I are taking a long overdue trip. We're going away for three days and Jonna has graciously offered to come and watch our boys. Cole is so excited. After our getaway, Grandma and Grandpa Martin are coming from California to visit! This will be the first time Henry has met them. I can't wait!!!!!!
In July I'm off to Phoenix for a very long weekend to hang with my sisters and niece and nephews. While I'm there, Bonnie and I are going to see New Kids On The Block in concert. Yes people, this will be number three. I am beyond excited, so I will spare you all from reading the ramblings of what it means to get to see them again with Bonnie.

It will also be my sister Penny's 38th birthday, so we plan on celebrating by spending the day at the Spa at the Hyatt Gainey Ranch (where John and I were married).

Poor me :)

I'm sure I'll come down with some rare tropical disease before then and have to skip both trips. This hasn't been my year.

1 comment:

Jolie said...

You had better put yourself in a bubble until your trips... and I'm so sorry to hear about the allergy - that is actually one of my worst fears. If you need help finding a good home for the two amigos let me know and I can try and help you get in touch with a good rescue group. They are both such good dogs, and I know how much you love them - I'm so sorry.